Re: SU balacing

To: "Lani Spahr" <lani_spahr@agilent.com>, <mg-tabc@egroups.com>,
Subject: Re: SU balacing
From: "David Tinker" <david.tinker@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 23:26:02 +0100
Hi Lani, If I was in your position my first job would be to remove the carbs
from the head ( I know its a chore ) and check if the throttle plates are
closing. The best way to do this is to look through the ports from the
manifold side. You should see no light showing or very little, and the
important point is that both throttle plates should be about the same. If
the plates are not seating perfectly then slacken the two screws that secure
the plate to the spindle so that the throttle plate is loose and apply
pressure to the throttle spindle and the plate should seat perfectly.
Tighten the two screws while keeping the pressure on the spindle. Make sure
that both throttle plates are showing similar levels of fit.

The uncentred jet must also be rectified and several checks should be made.
1 Check that there are no dents on the dash pot flange so that it seats
squarely on the carb body, any imperfections will cause the dash pot to
"kick over" when the screws are tightened.

2 Make sure the needle is not bent, and that it is inserted in the piston to
the correct depth.

3Check that the piston moves freely in the dash pot bore.

These are the main problem areas, and if these solutions do not work then
check the condition of the throttle spindles and bearings, the bottom jet
bearing , and associated parts.

My bet is on the throttle plate not seating correctly!!.

Keep us informed,

David Tinker