Re:Transmission update

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Transmission update
From: Andrew Moyce <amoyce@pol.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 20:18:15 -0400 (EDT)
It looks like everyone is taking advantage of the summer weather and
driving rather than writing about their cars.

Anyway, this is my continuing saga about the TD transmission, which I
couldn't shift after repairing the cup bearing on the back of the
remote housing. The problem, I think, is a bent 3rd/4th selector shaft
which binds in the bearing/housing. The back chamber of the gearbox,
which holds the selector shafts, doesn't have any fluid in it at rest,
so I was a bit surprised to find that fluid was leaking around my
first repair.
I recently further hollowed out the cup bearing, and I took my Dremel
tool to the back three inches of the selector shaft, and have some
improvement, though going into 3rd is still difficult, and I have to
go into fourth before downshifting to second, as the gates don't line
up coming out of 3rd. Now I wonder if I have to replace the shaft and
if that can be done without removing the transmission from the car.
Any thoughts?

Andy Moyce
52 TD