TD Wiper

To: MG <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: TD Wiper
From: Stuart Keen <simbafish@home.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 19:08:50 -0400
On a recent jaunt with my TD (2,891 miles!), I was forced to use my
wipers for the first time in actual stormy conditions. Usually with
Rain-X on the windscreen, wipers are not necessary, but because of mud
being flung up by passing trucks, wipers had to be used.

After about two cycles, they quit. Nice being able to rotate the wipers
by hand (try that in a modern car), but I'd like to get the wipers back
to a fully operating condition.

I find they will cycle, but have very little torque and if manually
stopped, will not restart. I have lubricated, repacked the gears with
high temp grease, cleaned the armature, checked the brushes, etc., all
to no avail. I even straightened out the connecting rod between the two
wipers (it was bent), but this did not help.

When the wipers are cycling, if I manually stop them mid way, they just
sit there (and would eventually burn up the armature or blow a fuse).
When the wipers are away from the bottom of the arc, there seems to be
more torque, at least if I manually stop the wiper there, they will
start up again immediately. But not so when at the bottom of the arc.

Since I have no experience with TD wipers, I do not know what is
"normal" torque. I am even thinking that the new wiper arms from Moss
may be exerting too strong of a force on the windscreen and thus
excessive dragging. Has anyone any experience with wipers and solutions?

Stu Keen
1951 MGTD MkII