Re: Can't get freeze plug fitted

To: BobMGT@aol.com
Subject: Re: Can't get freeze plug fitted
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 22:09:29 -0400
Bob,

     My first suggestion is for you to order some proper freeze plugs from
Abingdon Spares.  Next, get those monsters out of your engine.  Please keep in
mind the reason why they're called 'freeze plugs', they are to pop out of the
water jacket in case the coolant should happen to freeze.  If they're too tight,
they won't work.  It's not a bad idea to use a sealant with them, but they
should
'dimple' and expand into place.

BobMGT@aol.com wrote:

> I finally gave up trying to expand the plug in the block. I smacked it on an
> anvil just enough to expand it to a somewhat press fit. I then tapped it in
> with some Permatex High Tack Gasket Sealant around the edge. I then cleaned
> up the outside and put a bead of J-B Quick Weld around the outside edge. If
> this plug leaks or falls out, I'll eat my hat. IMHO the new freeze plug was
> much to heavy. It looked to be twice as thick as the old one and the metal
> was not soft. (This was Moss part 328-250.) Sometimes we are forced to be
> future DPOs.

Bud Krueger
http://home.ici.net/~bkrueger/
52TD