Re: engine rebuilt for supercharger

To: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Subject: Re: engine rebuilt for supercharger
From: Geoff Love <engconn@f-tech.net>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 07:57:18 -0400
--------------CC9B269C34413CB45C112C6F

Bullwinkle wrote:

> Mike:
>
> I have a supercharger also, but haven't installed it as I don't
> have all of the parts.
>
> I was told to:
>
> Use a ported head converted to the large valves.
>
> Use the AEG 122 cam or the later style factory cam.  The AEG 122
> cam has more overlap which works better on a blower.
>
> Don't blow much over 6 pounds.
>
> Make sure the pop off valve works.
>
> Use a compression of no more than 8.2 to 1.
>
> I would recommend:
>
> Blue print the engine.
>
> Shot peen crank and rods.
>
> Use light weight three ring pistons.
>
> Have engine balanced.  Do the crank, flywheel, and clutch
> seperately.
>
> Tuffride or Nitride the crank.
>
> Hard chrome the rocker shaft.
>
> Replace the rocker shaft springs with spacers.
>
> Replace the valve spring retainers and oil shroud with a one
> piece aluminum unit.  Use teflon umbrella seals on the guides.
>
> Convert the head to use no lead gas.  Be real carefull about the
> proper installation of the valve seats.
>
> Have the valve push rods shortened or new ones made if the head
> is milled.  Don't use packing under the rocker stands.
>
> Use TF 1500 rods if you can find them.  (I couldn't for what I
> could afford.)
>
> Use TF 1500 exhaust manifold.  The MKII and TF 1250's might also
> have this larger manifold.
>
> REbuild the transmission using the best first gear, first gear
> hub, and counter gear you can find.  New would be best.
>
> Replace the pressure plate with an early MGA unit which has
> heavier springs.
>
> Lower the rear axel ratio to at least 4.8 with 4.5 or even 4.3
> prefered.
>
> Completely overhaul the brake system.
>
> Add a second fuel pump ala MKII or switch to an MGA rear mounted
> unit.
>
> What did I forget?

Probably not much.  But, although all of the above is good stuff,
remember that fifty odd years ago, supercharging was purely a convenient
and relatively cheap means of quickly adding more power, without the
need of having to strip an engine down and rebuild it.  If you are going
to completely dismantle the engine, then forget about supercharging it,
but do all of the above, and re-manufacture a racing engine.

As far as I know, the factory never delivered any cars with blowers
attached.  These were an aftermarket gadget produced by people such as
Christopher Shorrock, who saw a need and filled it.  The original
instructions which came with the Shorrock blower stated the installation
was a job which any reasonable handyman could accomplish in an
afternoon. That's true.  It also implied the same enthusiast did not
have to alter the engine in any way, and yet still come up with anything
up to 30% more power at the end of the same afternoon.

If you are going to shove a blower onto the engine which is going to
produce 25-30 lbs of pressure, then maybe you should beef up the
crankshaft etc.  But with around 6-8lbs of low pressure supercharging,
it would appear un-necessary.

Geoff Love

--------------CC9B269C34413CB45C112C6F
 name="engconn.vcf"

begin:vcard
n:Love;Geoffrey E.
tel;fax:as above
tel;home:570 739 3340
tel;work:570 739 3340
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:The English Connection
adr:;;P. O. Box 133;Friedensburg;Pa.;17933;
version:2.1
email;internet:engconn@f-tech.net
title:Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
note:Restorer of British Motor Cars