1954 MGTF 1250 RHD - Its Alive!!!! :-)

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: 1954 MGTF 1250 RHD - Its Alive!!!! :-)
From: Dick Dell <rddell@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 15:55:23 -0400
For those who noticed the slight difference in the Subject line it does
indeed read MGTF 1250, not MGTF 1500.

I took my '54 MGTF 1250 RHD out for a spin yesterday for the first time in
10 years!

She's been in the garage since 1990, unused due to moving from state to
state (NJ to NC, I highly recommend it.) Then a change in jobs, then
starting a new business. Then in the Spring I took her out to find that the
brake system was in need of a complete replacement, (brake fluid having
somehow turned to some form of coal tar/molasses mixture) new everything
from master cylinder to wheels, and of course the tires had petrified so
they had to be replaced, etc., etc., etc. She runs great! But I do need to
think about a gearbox rebuild or maybe a change to 5-speed.

And I do refer to the car as a 'she', partly since I have alwasy given the
cars names, usually from the person I bought the car from. The TF is
'Penny', the two TR3's are Merle and Tom. The E-type is Ed. The Jensen
Healey came from a stranger and just acquired the name Jenny. My border
collie (and garage companion) is named Sprocket but that's another story.

Insofar as giving a name and gender to inanimate objects, the French have
been doing that for a long time, but I do disagree with their premise that
all cars are male.

Dick Dell
Raleigh NC