Re: Electronic Ignition

To: Stuart Keen <simbafish@home.com>
Subject: Re: Electronic Ignition
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 23:32:00 -0600
Stuart Keen wrote:

> I have just installed a Pertronix Ignitor pointless ignition system in
> my 51 MGTD with High Lift distributor cam. The installation was
> extremely simple, but I am finding that the car runs rough. I have
> adjusted the timing to what I thought was about right, with revs approx
> 950, but am looking for advice from any one that has experience with
> this system. What advance (or retard) angles should I be looking for in
> a dynamic condition and at what rpm? The TD manual says you should only
> set the timing in a static condition unless you can get the revs down to
> 700. That's not possible with my TD. It has to be timed in a dynamic
> situation; a bulb in static condition will not work since the Pertronix
> system works with magnets.

I'm posting as a suggestion only:

I set my Cooper S, and also the MGB-based Victor TF (both highly
modified), to the *max advance* amd *then* attempt to make the rest of
it conform.

The Luggage (1293 Cooper S, 286 scatter cam, etc.) revs fairly high on
the motorways (1:3.44 final drive)), so if the cruising settings are
okay, all will be well. I don't mind a spotty idle; I just don't want to
burn my valves or seats.

I set both of the wee darlings' distributors to the max advance setting
at around 4.5 to 5.5 thousand rpm. according to the racing specs. which
is usually around 32 to 34 degrees of advance.

After that, the idle ain't no real problem, except for whatever it takes
to prevent run-on.

-Rock
--
Rocky, JJ Cale Band & Pratchett Books: http://www.rocky-frisco.com