TD Cam

To: "Mg-T Mail List" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: TD Cam
From: "Marty Klein" <drzzzz@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 13:16:25 -0600
Hi Listers,

I'm about to install a Crane fast-road cam (3/4? - this is the same cam sold
by Moss as their fast-road cam for the TD) and an exhaust header in my 53 TD
to help compensate for a 4.3 ring & pinion I just installed. I have a few
questions for the collective wisdom of the list:

1.  I always degree in a new cam, especially a non-stock spec. cam like
this.  Do I need to use an offset key on the cam sprocket in order to do
this?  If so, where can I get offset keys with specific amounts of offset?
Or, how do I make my own to the required spec?

2. The cam calls for 9.5 compression ratio.  I could probably get away with
less, but I don't know how much has been skimmed from the head in the past.
What is the original thickness of the head so I can tell whether more can be
skimmed, or perhaps it's already at or beyond the required spec?  Do I need
to cc the chambers to determine the current state, or is there a more
straight forward approach?

3. Any opinions about 1 1/4 vs 1 1/2 SU's with this cam and header?  Right
now I'm inclined to use richer needles in the 1 1/4's in order to maintain
the velocity of the intake gases.   Any suggestions for SU needle numbers to
try?  Any other approaches worth trying?  A supercharger would sure be a
nice solution.....

Any suggestions/opinions will be most welcome.

Regards

Marty Klein
drzzzz@compuserve.com