Advice wanted re. TC transmission & rear axle ratio

To: mg-tabc@egroups.com, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Advice wanted re. TC transmission & rear axle ratio
From: CFritz7001@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 14:36:42 EST
Hello, All,
    I'm preparing my '48 TC "Betsy" for a 4-month tour of her homeland.  She
has something over 200,000 miles on her original, untouched transmission.  My
concern is that the tranny is beginning to be somewhat noisy in top gear,
most especially under light load, constant speed--level ground conditions
(ie. neither accelerating nor coasting / deccelerating).  It's not too noisy
when under load or deccelerating in top gear, and reasonably quiet in the
lower gears.
    My questions are these:
1.  Assuming that an overhaul of the tranny is indicated, which parts are the
most likely to need replacement ?
2.  After 46 years as Betsy's chief mechanic, I feel I'm reasonably
proficient as a mechanic, but I have never unbuttoned a tranny.  Am I biting
off more than I can chew to attempt an overhaul on my own?
3.  I'm seriously considering fitting a lower-ratio rear axle to get more
relaxed cruising.  Betsy's engine has been brought up to MK2 TD or TF specs.,
and has an over-bore of 40thou., and she's running 4.50x19" wheels.  What
ratio would be the best compromise?
***
    Comment, suggestions?
Regards,