Re: gastank gum

To: tedgantz <tgantz@fuse.net>
Subject: Re: gastank gum
From: Arnold Molloy <a.j.molloy@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2000 18:11:50 -0500
Hi Ted,
I had much the same problem with a TD tank. I used an extension mirror
through the sending unit hole and discovered that there was a channel
running the full width of the bottom of the tank . I used the 3 part
chemical treatment advertised in Moss's catalog.
The cleaner softened up the "varnish" like substance, I then drilled two
1/4" holes in either end of the tank about 1" from the bottom and using
a piece of 3/8" brass brazing rod I chipped away until I cleaned all of
the muck from the bottom of the tank.
I soft soldered (Using an iron, not a torch) a copper penny over each
hole blending the solder into the tank. Followed this up with an etching
liquid treatment, and completed the job with the slushing compound.
I'm sure there are many other owners who have used similar methods, but
this worked for me

Good Luck

Arnie Molloy
53 TD