Re: The Future of Collector Cars

To: "Keith and Maggie Black" <37mgta@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: The Future of Collector Cars
From: rfeibusch@loop.com (Rick Feibusch)
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 08:07:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Keith and Maggie Black" <37mgta@email.msn.com>
To: "Rick Feibusch" <rfeibusch@loop.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 23:24:57 -0500

>dear rick
> geeze pal, i couldnt disagree with you more on prewar cars fading into the
>lime light. i dont pass by too many kids ( 3 to 12 ) that dont almost wet
>themselves, their so excited to see the car. and most adults seem to sneak a
>look if not an outright shouted word of praise. there is something almost
>mystical in the looks of a prewar mg, and it transmits that feeling to folks
>who have never even heard about an mg before. couse i live here in dallas,
>and maybe folks are not as jaded as out there on the coast. but we try to
>keep the spirit alive by driving the car as much as possible !!
> so keep the faith brother . and if you want to see what a bunch of folks
>texans can be at a gof of mg's, come to paris this fall ( paris, texas that
>is). well keep an ole king of the road pointed out to the west so you can
>follow the golden light to " paris, mg style" .......
>warmest regards,
>keith black

Keith,
Your point is well taken BUT the reality is that there is a prejudice
against prewar cars at shows. I'm not only talking about MGs, I'm talking
about anything that it not a Cord, Deusenberg or Bugatti.

The people who see the car on the street or at shows love them - this is
about organizing bodies and the general charities who work this side of the
street.  This is what another California MG owner had to say:

Dear Rick,
 You've hit the nail Exactly on the head with your thoughts on preserving the
British car heritage. As one of those "gray beards," I can agree completely,
but have to say there are days when there doesn't seem to be much of a light
at the end of the tunnel. I get awfully tired of explaining to those under
thirty "what an MG is".
 But apart from all that, you mentioned you do a lot of concour event
organizing. I'm quite interested in entering my TC in some genuine concours.
It's only been in two, and while it has taken first place almost every time,
most of the shows have been People's Choice where the cutsey, kitschey stuff
has won on Genuine True Original machines and equipment.
 Anyway, can you direct me to any suitable annual concours events on the west
coast....preferably in the Northwest, or within good driving distance? I have
written to the Pebble Beach People and they say to send in information around
November and they'll be sending out invitations around April.
 However, one nationally known restorer has told me positively that "no MG
will be considered at Pebble for the forseeable future" because it's just
"not an important enough car." Nothing against my car, or anyone's, but
"there were too many of them made" and they're, well, common. I don't know
how much of that is true, or how much is just to preserve His personal "wins"
at Pebble, but we shall see.
 And how about the Classic Car Club of America or whatever it's called? One
person told me that they will only consider and judge PRE-war cars, thus my
'48 TC would not be judged in a concours. Is that true? Is it a worthwhile
organization and would I be able to participate?
 If you have a moment, I would appreciate your thoughts. I think the car,
(and I) have a few more competitions in us before she becomes a complete
Daily Driver.
 Thanks,
 Bob Hawkins
 GetHawk@aol.com

This is my point!  Thanks for the invite!

Cheers,
Rick