Brake Drum puller?

To: BobMGT@aol.com, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Brake Drum puller?
From: Dick Dell <rddell@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 07:08:35 -0400
At 10:37 PM 08/02/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>back in the days of front drum brakes, I remember
>something like a gear puller that attached to the drum studs and used a large
>screw to pull the drum loose by pushing against the axle.
>
>Is this puller available anymore? Is it the proper tool for the job? Should
>the drums be that difficult to remove in the first place?

Bob,

I just went throught he same process on my TF. I have a young mechanic who
comes over to help out and he brought a wheel puller made by a company
named 'Old Forge Tools'. It's their part number 2519 and it was over $100
(I bought one for myself.)

The tool is mostly very heavy cast aluminum with steel screw and if you
keep the screw properly greased it looks like it should be just about
indestructable. I bent, damaged, or broke 3 different cheap wheel pullers
before finding out about this one. Definitely pays to buy quality.

I did find Old Forge Tools mentioned on the net but I don't have the
address. If you need it I'll search for it. You might be able to get it
through your local tool distributor (or the guy with the tool truck who
comes around to all the gas stations and garages.)

Dick Dell
MGTF
TR3
E-Type