My Tale of Woe

To: ddubois@sinclair.net
Subject: My Tale of Woe
From: Scott Allen <s4usea@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 01:05:54 PDT
Ah well, the rest of the story... This's all relevent but long...

I bought a '52 TD this time last year.  My 'Da owned a '51 that was
handed down from his in '61...  It was the car I cut my teeth on,
even though my taste has run to Alfa's since my finances were
my own.

So anyhoo... fell in line with the family tradition and got a TD up
in PA with 564 miles on an engine and drivetrain re-build.
Had a Spider totalled that broke my heart and didn't want to get
too emotionally attached to my next car, and figured the sweat
equity was the cause, hence the re-build req.  I wanted the TD to
be just a car.  200 miles or so into my ownership, (last
August) the #2 bearing gets spun.

Not being afraid of an engine, I tear her down and find that
the bearings were the wrong size, (mains and rods, so good
call Mr. DuBois) the torque specs are non-existent, and things are missing
or plain just not right.  So I re-build the block.

Problem solved?

500 miles later the transmission goes.  During the re-build
I get the cluster gear, (which obviously is new) and it looks
like someone put a stick of dinamite down it.  Blair Engle will
attest to this as his comment was he'd never seen anything like it...

In any event, by now I have no faith in the TD's mechanical
stability.  I replace or re-build EVERYTHING. Which, some
12k later in expenditures brings me to last week.

I get called up in the reserves, and am about to deploy, but the day
before I pull the plugs on the engine to prep it for short-term
storage.  The #2 plug is clean.  Like almost new clean.  There's
just a hint of carbon on the electrode.  The #1 looks rich, and
the #3-4 looks pretty much like they should.  So it gets me to
thinking about compression testing the engine, which I do a few
hours before I leave.

Now I pretty much re-built the #2 piston 500 miles ago.  New
rod and bearings, piston and rings, and lining balanced to match
the old ones, (~800 miles old) but the clean plug has me worried,
especially with all the traffic on the list lately regarding
compression ratios.  I figure the rings haven't seated yet or the break-in
process hasn't completed, and this could be
the cause of the clean plug, (maybe oil blow-by?).

So you have the test results.  They look o.k., but I don't
have a baseline to go on.  Someone on the list last week mentioned
less then 160lbs.  I assume this's with a hot engine.  I will
point out though once more that the head, block, rockers, oil
pump, etc, etc have been re-built since the car last ran so I may
be chasing the ghost of an old problem...

Something to think on 'till I get home...

Best and thanks,

Scott Allen