Re: TD Radiator Support

To: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Subject: Re: TD Radiator Support
From: "M.Lieberman" <mkl@snet.net>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 12:01:37 -0400
Bud Krueger wrote:

> Help, please?
>
>      I'm befuddled, but that's not unusual.  The support member that the
> radiator mounts to in a TD can be installed in either of two orientations.  It

Had the same problem. IMHO the wide V goes closest to the engine; the shorter,
rounded one is forward.

Even though I made notes before I removed mine and saw what I thought were the
marks in the original paint, I had second thoughts when I started to put the
thing
back together.

The problem was that the owners manual (and the workshop manual) has a drawing
of
the steering rack ( in the part discussing lubrication) with the oil nipple. The
front flange of the radiator mounting plate does look like the wide V forward to
me. However, later in the steering gear section, there is a photo which shows
the
rack being removed. What you see is the aft part of the radiator mounting plate
and
it is clearly a wide V.

A trip to a friend, an original owner of a late '52 TD (frame never apart)
confirmed that the wide V is aft. If you need further evidence, there is no
space
to get a "spanner" in to tighten the radiator nuts from the front (with the
shell
on, at least) if the wide part is forward. I assume that that is why it is
shaped
the way it is. Why the radiator mounting holes are not in the middle of the bar
is
another question for which I have no answer.

M.Lieberman