MG-TD Restoration Details

To: Team Net <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: MG-TD Restoration Details
From: gregg.smith@slc.k12.ut.us (Gregg Smith)
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 12:17:06 -0600
MG T-Fans:

It's been rather quiet on the list lately so I thought I'd float a few
questions to help with my restoration of a 1950 MG-TD (#1844).

1. Was the piping between the fenders and the tub: a) the same color as
the interior upholstery, or b) painted the same color as the body?
Various reference sources seem to differ on this point.  The B&W factory
photographs I've got show preprinted fenders hanging from the rafters
while partially completed cars with painted tubs are rolling down the
assembly line.  Surely, they didn't paint the piping to match the body
after assembling the fenders to the tub.  There aren't enough color
photographs of original cars available to really determine if the piping
matched the interior which seems more reasonable.  Any first hand
experience or thoughts?

2. What's the proper alignment for the Lucas King of the Road emblems in
the head lamp buckets?  Is the lion right side up or upside down when
viewed from the drivers seat?

3. How are ends of the head lamp support brackets (dumb irons)
finished?  Do the ends of the two studs that bolt the dumb irons to the
fenders protrude slightly or are they filled in so that the dumb iron
ends look smooth?  If they show, how much?  Anybody have chromed dumb
irons that are claimed to be original?

4. Does anyone know if the radiator drain pipe (that goose neck copper
tube from radiator cock) was supported somehow or did it hang free?
Somewhere, I've also read that there was a rubber tube attached to this
pipe.  What's your version?

5. Does anyone know of a modern grease cap that will fit the front brake
hubs of an early TD?  I'd like to do something to improve on the
original style felt and washer seal.  I'm aware of the "special service
cap" described in Section K.16 of the Workshop Manual but these kits
don't seem to be available.  Later TD's had a modified grease cap,
however, they won't fit the earlier hubs.  Any suggestions?

6. Does anyone have a copy of Factory Service Bulletin (ACG5163) that
describes the parts, etc. that were required to fit wire wheels to a
TD.  I know wires were never an option for any TD and assume the
bulletin only applied to TFs shipped with disc wheels.  Should I ever
get the notion to fit wires to the car I'd like some documentation that
says this was really possible.

7. Page 6 of the TD Operation Manual shows the chain from the oil filler
cap attached to the front bolt on the left side of the valve cover (the
Workshop Manual does likewise).  Later editions of the same book, now
called the Drivers Handbook on the cover, shows the chain presumably
routed to the rivet on the right side of the valve cover.  My valve
cover is a replacement so it has the rivet.  Can anyone verify that
early TD's had the chain attaching to the bolt?

8. Finally, and this is more of an offer than a question:  Page 42 of
the TD Operation Manual shows a three piece air cleaner (lid, separate
filter assembly and body).  Some where along the way (undocumented) they
changed to a two piece unit with the filter assembly attached to the
lid.   I threw away (yes, I was younger and dumber then) my air cleaner
over thirty years ago and the replacement I now own is a two piece
unit.  Does anyone have or know of a good three piece unit for sale or
trade?

Comments, help, suggestions or differing opinion to any or all of the
above questions would be greatly appreciated.

Gregg Smith