Re: MGA to TD/TF gears

To: "Lewis Palmer" <lpalmer@vanstar.com>, "MGT List" <mg-t@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: MGA to TD/TF gears
From: "Bob and Carolyn Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 11:55:20 -0500
I have available for sale several good used sets of MGA 1500/1600,  4.30  (
10/43 ) ratio, crown wheel and pinion assemblies at a cost of $200.00 US$
plus shipping or you arrange pick-up.
This is the complete center section and includes gears, CWP, bearings,
flange, bearing spacer and pinion location thickness washer etc as removed
from a car. Everything you need to install a 4.30 gear set into a TD or TF.
You need to surface grind the thickness washer to remove approx.  0.030"
for installation in a TD/TF housing,  adjust the bearing spacer to get the
preload, and possibly adjust the carrier bearing spacers ( + and -- ), to
move the crown wheel sideways to obtain the correct backlash.
 I have installed many of these units and I find the 4.3 ratio too low in
my XPEG 1500 cc TD,  Other owners with 1250 cc engines find 4.3 ideal.
Bob Grunau

> From: Lewis Palmer <lpalmer@vanstar.com>
> To: cgrunau@pathcom.com; MGT List <mg-t@Autox.Team.Net>
> Subject: RE: Brown & Gammons
> Date: Wednesday, December 02, 1998 10:14 PM
>
> To each his own, as they say.
OK, you have a good point, we have lots of flat roads in southern Ontario.

> First, have you tried to actually find an MGA gear set? And the flange
> required?
Gears and flange available as removed from MGAs..