Re: Coil theory

To: lawrie@britcars.com, mgt@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Coil theory
From: Dduncombes@aol.com
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 12:51:15 EDT
Lawrie
It doesn't matter which way any coil is wired with regard to the SW or  CB
terminals.  When the points open there will still be a surge of current
through
the primary coil due to the condensor charging up, and the secondary in  the
coil will generate 20k plus volts at its terminal.  Depending on the  polarity
of the primary coil connections, and therefore the direction of current  flow
in the primary, this high tension voltage will be positive or  negative.
When it gets to the plug it doesn't matter what it is because  the potential
difference across the plug will be at the worst case 20k  minus 12 or at best
20k
plus 12 - that will not affect the performance of the  plug!!
As a matter of interest my PA has been wired positive earth some time in  the
past but my old coil is wired in the normal way with the SW  terminal being
connected to the ignition switch (-ve) and the CB to the  distributor (+ve).
It runs perfectly, but the blower also helps!
Regards
Paul Duncombe
UK

Fellow listers - especially those of you who understand the ebb and flow  of
electrons....

I've always been led to believe that coil polarity  is important.If the car
is wired negative ground, the "minus" terminal on  the coil should go to the
distributor for maximum spark voltage to be  generated. However, today I
presented myself with a puzzle which may be  totally erroneous or may, in
fact, need some explanation:

If a coil  was manufactured during the days when its intended cars were
predominantly  positive ground (example - a Lucas Sports Coil dated 1958),
and has  terminals marked "SW" and "CB" rather than "+" or "-", logically the
"CB"  terminal would be the "plus" terminal since the points take the current
to a  positive ground. Am I right so far? Or did Lucas make its Sports Coils
to  fit cars with either positive or negative ground?

Now, if one wanted to  put this coil into a car wired negative ground, would
the "CB" terminal  still go to the distributor? If reversing the polarity of
the car also  requires reversing the terminals on the coil (something I was
told a long  time ago), have we in fact now wired the primary voltage to the
secondary  circuit in the coil when we connect the coil the other way around?

In  short, are coils manufactured for particular polarity in a car and will
their output voltage be reduced if they are wired backwards because the
car's polarity has been reversed?

Any and all insights will be  appreciated!

TIA,

Lawrie Alexander

///  Archives at  http://www.team.net/archive/mg-mmm