RE: Thermostat in PA cooling system. Worth the effort?

To: "Gill And Dick Morbey" <gd.morbey@virgin.net>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Thermostat in PA cooling system. Worth the effort?
From: "Gerhard Maier" <m.g.erhard@gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 15:44:27 +0100
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hi Dick,

I think you have the right feeling concerning the danger
fitting a thermostat in the top water-hose of a MMM-car.

As long as such a tubular thermostat is closed, there is hardly any
circulation (except maybe through a air-vent hole), and the nearly
boiling water reaches the thermostat much to late.

When I played with such a thing on my N-type, I first drilled some additional
2mm vent holes into the thermostat plate, to allow always a definite
amount of water circulating, but luckily later I found a K-type
works-thermostat.

Only when you use a thermostat which simultaneous opens and closes a by-pass,
as it was used on the works-thermostats (illustrated in the K-type manual),
than you avoid the risk of dangerous hot-spots in the exhaust-seat areas.

You hardly find thermostats with a by-pass, which fits our top hose.
And it also would be necessary to solder a by-pass connection
near the bottom-exit of the radiator, so that, until the thermostat opens,
the water only circulates through the engine.

The best way to handle the temperature, I think, is to fit a blind
in front of the radiator, which can be adjusted by a thin bicycle bowden-cable
from the driver.

When you drive in the mountains, the dessert or in the city-rush-hour,
you can't do without a fan between dynamo and radiator.

The car remains original, when a belt driven fan is used, as it was standard for
the F-type, as the same fan was also additional offered in the list for P's and
N's.

There are also nice, slim electric fans nowadays. ( I like the fans of the SPAL
company)

Gerhard Maier

PS.:  Not a few MMM-people also drive a MGA, Midget or MGB,
and for those cars it is worth to look for a old-type thermostat, which still
has the brass-ring, which moves up and down when the thermostat works,
and this ring opens and closes the by-pass.
Modern thermostats, without ring, all the time allow the water to find the
easier way through the by-pass as instead through the radiator,
and so cooling efficiency is not 100% as it could be.