Re: [Healeys] Lightened Flywheels

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>, Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Lightened Flywheels
From: Hank Leach via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2024 18:10:50 +0000 wMBbzTqpL42knUDHyaqsVpDHoaL5LIQ++Sswu4AeA3A0SmY9FgXeMQKLKRSbJfDXPxV3TxPCjzHEalEIFhOWIGIXl/Le3j/U9d/IbKlFebEYxECAVBIa3RuI

hurting anything and is recommended by the likes of Geoff Healey and others=
. Denotation has a worse effect on the engine.</div>
 That said the heaviest part I ever picked up is a 100 flywheel.&nbsp; Egad=
, what a hunk of metal!<br>-However the issues with the flywheel/cracked =
crankshaft can be traced to a lack of a front pulley dampener and that =
might be the better solution to the issue.&nbsp; It may in fact make =
dumping the clutch easier on the drivetrain, but not proven. Since your =
problem is with the front of the engine, I would address the seal =
replacement -felt if you are a purest -or yes, the modern solution fancy =
cover to stop drips on the floor. I collect my Healey oil in a small =
swimming pool I constructed to hold leaks, while in storage. Then some =
kerosene quickly cleans up the mess when the car is moved. Since they no =
longer oil the roadways, think of the benifit you are supplying to the =
asphalt in longer life. Hank-------------------&nbsp;<br><br>From: "Bob =
Spidell" &lt;bspidell@comcast.net&gt; <br>To: "Healeys" &lt;healeys@autox.=
team.net&gt; <br>Sent: June 18, 2024 at 10:03 AM PDT <br>Subject: [Healeys]=
 Lightened Flywheels <br>Listers,<br>I know this one has been =
discussed--well, beat to death--but it looks like I'll have to pull my =
BJ8's gearbox/OD to replace a leaky front seal, so I'm thinking of =
installing a lightened flywheel while I'm at it. My main reason for =
considering it is to stop some pretty significant run-on ('dieseling,' =
which I get on my BN2 as well). I'm not totally comfortable with dropping =
the clutch in gear to stop it, and any performance improvements would be a =
plus. It just so happens I just caught an episode of 'Engine Masters' on =
MotorTrend TV, where they seriously reduced the rotating mass of an =
engine--an SBC, which is what they mostly do--and got some interesting =
results: more HP and torque, as measured on a topnotch dyno. The gains were=
 shown primarily on acceleration which, intuitively I suppose, were greater=
 when RPM was raised at 300RPM/minute vs. 600. Any constant speed increases=
 weren't addressed as far as I could tell. The late, great Gary Andersen, =
who raced, said the main benefit was faster spin-up for rev-matching =
downshifts; anyone noted any other significant benefits? The 'Dyno Master' =
on EM said he'd seen timing chain failures with lightened flywheels; my =
main concern for both my Healeys has been reliability, with minimal =
maintenance required, but if it stops/minimizes the run-on I'd be happy. =
Anyone know how far you can go lightening without adverse effects? TIA, Bob=
harter.net</div>

--===============1520653416767904361==