Re: [Healeys] Spark plug gap

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Spark plug gap
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 07:56:15 -0700
References: <000001d97dec$3ebe6800$bc3b3800$@alexarevel.plus.com> <1683143739797.3398822.a14248bfe188de5976f98f018d4aa49836355f5e@spica.telekom.de> <000e01d97e0b$948451e0$bd8cf5a0$@alexarevel.plus.com> <1683180374184.3438755.d7091099a99773540ea52bfc82f6e724c4dc2437@spica.telekom.de> <000001d97e75$8e7c6250$ab7526f0$@alexarevel.plus.com> <1683200618943.30241.4931512a23c5af4193aff3855654c40b0b67018f@spica.telekom.de>

--------------fin75nHAsw3wAmpXu68NyKQC

I'll chime in here (as is my wont). I'm not an EE--my electrical
knowledge is self-taught--so if I'm incorrect feel free to correct.

The theoretical output of a coil--which is essentially half of an AC
transformer--is determined by the ratio of its secondary winding to its
primary. For example, a coil with 10 primary windings and 20,000
secondary windings will boost the primary 'signal' 2,000 times, so it
would boost a primary signal of 12V to 24,000 volts. When the primary
pulse to the coil is discontinued--e.g. points open--both the primary
and secondary induced electrical fields collapse, and the secondary
field is directed to the plugs*. The secondary field collapses until it
produces sufficient voltage to overcome the resistance of the plug gap;
hence the width of the gap determines the strength of the spark. For
example--pulling numbers out of my exhaust pipe--if a 0.025" gap
requires 10K volts to produce a spark, then a 0.030" gap might require
12K volts to produce a spark. So, a larger gap produces a 'hotter'
spark, up to the theoretical limit of the coil, and a hotter spark is
better, no? Well, yes and no; theoretically, as long as the spark is hot
enough to jump the gap it will ignite a proper mixture. A very lean
mixture is harder to ignite, and a very rich mixture could 'drown' the
spark ('stratified charge' engines use a richer mixture to ignite a
leaner mixture). A hotter spark may more reliably ignite a non-ideal
mixture, and may help a bit to ignite a proper one (higher compression
engines require a hotter spark). But, as Josef noted, since every spark
transmits some of the non-ground electrode--probably billions of
atoms--to the ground electrode a hotter spark will erode the electrode
faster (since erosion starts with the first spark and with a wider gap
you should re-gap more often). Note condensers (capacitors) are used in
points systems and SU fuel pumps to suppress spark arcing and subsequent
points erosion. Which is why ...

Exotic metal--platinum or iridium--plugs are more resistant to erosion,
which is why newer cars can go 80K miles or more without a 'tuneup,'
which, for all intents-and-purposes just means swapping plugs (note they
come in 'single' (default) or 'dual' types, meaning one or both
electrodes are the exotic metal, respectively) . Old-style plugs with
copper and steel electrodes can reliably go 15K miles or more, with one
or two re-gaps, so exotic metal plugs aren't particularly useful for our
cars which might do a couple thousand miles a year but, hey, knock
yourself out. Note that platinum and iridium plugs come pre-gapped, and
you'd best not mess with them. When I swapped plugs on my '08 Mustang I
couldn't find a gap spec anywhere, but IIRC I futzed with them anyway
(of course) and think they were all about 0.025". Fortunately, the car
still ran well after my meddling and I traded it in in a few years
anyway. Curiously, I watched a David Vizard video where he claimed he
saw a /slight/ mileage increase using E3 'DiamondFire' plugs, so there
may be something to the plug voodoo. Fun fact: All the iridium on planet
Earth came from a single asteroid, and is found in a layer of said earth
deposited around the same time the dinosaurs went kaput. Coincidence? I
think not.

Anybody who's worked on 'modern' cars, say, newer than 2000MY or so, has
noted 'Coil On Plug' ('COP') technology, where each plug get its own
coil. Now, the coils on these are small, about the size of an old 35mm
film canister--remember those?--and you might say to yourself 'Self, how
do they stuff all that wiring into that little film canister' and the
answer is, the wires gotta be real tiny and, yep, as you might expect
they are fragile compared to our Bud Light can-sized (sorry) old school
Lucas coils. Early COP systems--looking at you, VW--were prone to
gremlins and I still hear about COP failures on newer cars and other
makes, esp. with DOHC engines which always, eventually, seem to get
leaky valve cover gaskets which dump oil into the plug tubes (as opposed
to leaky Healey valve cover gaskets which just dump oil, well, everywhere).

OK, caffeine rush is fading. Ciao.

Bob

* Note coils for our Healeys come with either 'SW' ('switch;' i.e.
ignition switch)  and 'CB' ('contact breaker;' i.e. points/distributor)
or '+' and '-' labels on the primary terminals. They'll work either way,
but some voodoo is employed whereby, when properly connected the
secondary field is routed in series with the primary circuit to give a
slight boost to produced spark.

On 5/4/2023 4:43 AM, josef-eckert--- via Healeys wrote:

> Sorry, I am out here. This guy wants to play till the engine is shot.
>
> -----Original-Nachricht-----
>
> Betreff: RE: [Healeys] Spark plug gap
>
> Datum: 2023-05-04T12:45:37+0200
>
> Von: "simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com"
> <simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com>
>
> An: "josef-eckert@t-online.de" <josef-eckert@t-online.de>
>
> Thanks for that. Iâ??ll certainly bear it in mind. Likewise, Iâ??ll keep a
> close eye on my engineâ??s temperature. The latter is quite well
> protected with a modern rad, all the correct baffles, 5 blade fan plus
> electronic fan. But, as I said, Iâ??ll keep an eye on it.
>
> Someone mentioned that he used â??Iridiumâ?? plugs from NGK. I googled
> themâ?¦.horribly expensive. Can they be worth it in our old cars?
>
> Simon

  <head>
  </head>
    I'll chime in here (as is my wont). I'm not an EE--my electrical
    knowledge is self-taught--so if I'm incorrect feel free to correct.<br>
[...]
    ...<br>
[...]
    <i>slight</i> mileage increase using E3 'DiamondFire' plugs, so
    there may be something to the plug voodoo. Fun fact: All the iridium
    on planet Earth came from a single asteroid, and is found in a layer
    of said earth deposited around the same time the dinosaurs went
    kaput. Coincidence? I think not.<br>
    Anybody who's worked on 'modern' cars, say, newer than 2000MY or so,
    has noted 'Coil On Plug' ('COP') technology, where each plug get its
    own coil. Now, the coils on these are small, about the size of an
    old 35mm film canister--remember those?--and you might say to
    yourself 'Self, how do they stuff all that wiring into that little
    film canister' and the answer is, the wires gotta be real tiny and,
    yep, as you might expect they are fragile compared to our Bud Light
    can-sized (sorry) old school Lucas coils. Early COP systems--looking
    at you, VW--were prone to gremlins and I still hear about COP
    failures on newer cars and other makes, esp. with DOHC engines which
    always, eventually, seem to get leaky valve cover gaskets which dump
    oil into the plug tubes (as opposed to leaky Healey valve cover
    gaskets which just dump oil, well, everywhere).<br>
    OK, caffeine rush is fading. Ciao.<br>
    Bob<br>
    * Note coils for our Healeys come with either 'SW' ('switch;' i.e.
    ignition switch)  and 'CB' ('contact breaker;' i.e.
    points/distributor)  or '+' and '-' labels on the primary terminals.
    They'll work either way, but some voodoo is employed whereby, when
    properly connected the secondary field is routed in series with the
    primary circuit to give a slight boost to produced spark.<br>
      via Healeys wrote:<br>
cite="mid:1683200618943.30241.4931512a23c5af4193aff3855654c40b0b67018f@spica.telekom.de">
      <title></title>
style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:10pt;color:#000000;text-decoration:none">Sorry,
          I am out here. This guy wants to play till the engine is shot.<br>
style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:10pt;color:#000000;text-decoration:none"> </span></p>
href="mailto:simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com";>"simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com"</a>
        <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com";>&lt;simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com&gt;</a></p>
href="mailto:josef-eckert@t-online.de";>"josef-eckert@t-online.de"</a>
        <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:josef-eckert@t-online.de";>&lt;josef-eckert@t-online.de&gt;</a></p>
        Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">
              EN-US;">Thanks for that. Iâ??ll certainly bear it in mind.
              Likewise, Iâ??ll keep a close eye on my engineâ??s
              temperature. The latter is quite well protected with a
              modern rad, all the correct baffles, 5 blade fan plus
              electronic fan. But, as I said, Iâ??ll keep an eye on
it.</span></p>
              EN-US;">Someone mentioned that he used â??Iridiumâ?? plugs
              from NGK. I googled themâ?¦.horribly expensive. Can they be
              worth it in our old cars?</span></p>
              EN-US;">Simon</span></p>
              EN-US;"> </span></p>
              padding: 3.0pt 0cm 0cm 0cm;">
lang="EN-US">From:</span></strong><span
                  lang="EN-US"> <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:josef-eckert@t-online.de";>josef-eckert@t-online.de</a>
                  <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:josef-eckert@t-online.de";>&lt;josef-eckert@t-online.de&gt;</a> <br>
                  <strong>To:</strong>
                  <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com";>simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com</a>;
 Healey, Forum
                  <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";>&lt;healeys@autox.team.net&gt;</a><br>
                  <strong>Subject:</strong> AW: [Healeys] Spark plug
gap</span></p>
              font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;">For me, i
              prefer Champion plugs plugs to NGK, but that´s a matter of
              taste. I think both, Champion and NGK, are of similar
              quality. Matter of taste, as I wrote. But NOT the car
              manufacturer determines the plug gap, its the plug
              manufacturer. Definitely the car manufacturer takes this
              for his specs in the workshop manual.</span></p>
              font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;">There is
              to much hype about plugs anyway. I am working as a
              professional, Elecrtonics and Elecrtrcian engineer, at a
              big classic car parts supplier here in Europe and I never
              go away from the given plug gap as set by the plug
              manufacturer. Austin-Healey engines  are not high tech,
              they are tractor engines and can take a lot of misfit, but
              anyway BMC knew at the time what´s best to do with them,
              even its printed 60 or 70 years ago.</span></p>
              font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;">Some
              people try to adjust the fuel mixture with a CO-tester.
              You can do that, but it doesn´t give best results for road
              use, especially in hotter climates and high above sea
              level. </span></p>
              font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;">When you
              are very good in engine engineering and have all the tools
              you can try to find some more horsepower in your engine,
              but you always pay that with some more heat produced,
              which is not at all good for our old BMC engines.</span></p>
              font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;">Josef</span></p>
              font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;"> </span></p>
              href="mailto:simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com";
              moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com</a>"
            &lt;<a href="mailto:simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com";
              moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com</a>&gt;</p>
              href="mailto:josef-eckert@t-online.de";
              moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">josef-eckert@t-online.de</a>"
            &lt;<a href="mailto:josef-eckert@t-online.de";
              moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">josef-eckert@t-online.de</a>&gt;</p>
                mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;"><span style="font-size:
                  9.0pt; font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;
                  mso-fareast-language: EN-US;">You may be right. Not
                  sure. </span></p>
                mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;"><span style="font-size:
                  9.0pt; font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;
                  mso-fareast-language: EN-US;">Actually I thought that
                  the gap was determined by the carâ??s manufacturer ie
                  one could expect to find the same plug in two
                  different cars and to find that the recommended gap
                  was not the same for each car.</span></p>
                mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;"><span style="font-size:
                  9.0pt; font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;
                  mso-fareast-language: EN-US;">Likewise, the BMC manual
                  suggests Champion plugs at 0.024â?? to 0.026â?? and that
                  was some 60+ years ago. Iâ??ve always been told that
                  Champion plugs arenâ??t the best in the world and Iâ??m
                  sure that a modern NGK can stand a little more heat
                  than the Champions that were around 60 years ago.</span></p>
                mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;"><span style="font-size:
                  9.0pt; font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;
                  mso-fareast-language: EN-US;">Anyhow, Iâ??ll keep an eye
                  on them. Iâ??m a pretty tame driver so there wonâ??t be
                  undue stress under the bonnet.</span></p>
                mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;"><span style="font-size:
                  9.0pt; font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;
                  mso-fareast-language: EN-US;">Simon</span></p>
                mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;"><span style="font-size:
                  9.0pt; font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;
                  mso-fareast-language: EN-US;"> </span></p>
                  1.0pt; padding: 3.0pt 0cm 0cm 0cm;">
                    mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;"><strong><span
                        style="font-size: 9.0pt; font-family:
                        'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;"
lang="EN-US">From:</span></strong><span
                      style="font-size: 9.0pt; font-family:
                      'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;" lang="EN-US"> <a
                        href="mailto:josef-eckert@t-online.de";
                        moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">josef-eckert@t-online.de</a>
                      &lt;<a href="mailto:josef-eckert@t-online.de";
                        moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">josef-eckert@t-online.de</a>&gt;
                      <strong><span style="font-family:
                          'Arial',sans-serif;">Sent:</span></strong> 03
                      May 2023 20:56<br>
                      <strong><span style="font-family:
                          'Arial',sans-serif;">To:</span></strong> <a
                        href="mailto:simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com";
                        moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com</a>;
                        moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
                      <strong><span style="font-family:
                          'Arial',sans-serif;">Subject:</span></strong>
                      AW: [Healeys] Spark plug gap</span></p>
                mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;"><span style="font-size:
                  9.0pt; font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color:
black;"> </span></p>
                  font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;">Spark
                  plugs are designed and tested to be used with the gap
                  given by the producer of the spark plug.</span></p>
                  font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;">When
                  you widen the gap the plug gets hotter as it is
                  designed for and the electrode can melt or wear very
                  fast.</span></p>
                  font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;">Its a
                  very short win you gain modifying them.</span></p>
                  font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;">I
                  never understand why people think they are better
                  engineers and know better than the designers of the
                  system they use.</span></p>
                  font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;"> </span></p>
                  font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;">Josef
                  font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;"> </span></p>
                  font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;"> </span></p>
                  font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;"> </span></p>
                  font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;"> </span></p>
                  font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color:
black;">-----Original-Nachricht-----</span></p>
                  font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;">Betreff:
                  [Healeys] Spark plug gap</span></p>
                  font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;">Datum:
                  2023-05-03T21:39:57+0200</span></p>
                  font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;">Von:
                  "Simon Lachlan via Healeys" &lt;<a
                    href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
                    moz-do-not-send="true"
                  font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;">An:
                  "'Healeys'" &lt;<a
                    href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
                    moz-do-not-send="true"
                  font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;"> </span></p>
                  font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;"> </span></p>
                  font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;"> </span></p>
                    mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;"><span
                      style="font-size: 9.0pt; font-family:
                      'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;">I run my MkII
                      BT7 on NGK BP6ES which were recommended by some of
                      the wise ones on this list.</span></p>
                    mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;"><span
                      style="font-size: 9.0pt; font-family:
                      'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;">The car has a
                      â??Sportsâ?? coil and a 123Ignition distributor. DW
                      fast road camâ?¦etc</span></p>
                    mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;"><span
                      style="font-size: 9.0pt; font-family:
                      'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;">Now, talking of
                      â??recommendedâ??, the rolling road guys told me to
                      set the plugs at 0.028â?? and pooh-poohed anything
                      bigger when I suggested that Iâ??d heard of much
                      greater gaps with my approximate setup.</span></p>
                    mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;"><span
                      style="font-size: 9.0pt; font-family:
                      'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;">So, I went with
                      0.028.</span></p>
                    mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;"><span
                      style="font-size: 9.0pt; font-family:
                      'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;">The other day,
                      I decided to experiment and set my spare set at
                      0.032â??. Same NGKs, no mileage on them..decent
                      plugs. Anyhow, it made a very surprising
                      difference. All round performance is much
                      enhanced.</span></p>
                    mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;"><span
                      style="font-size: 9.0pt; font-family:
                      'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;">Despite itâ??s
                      3:54 diff and 28% OD, it was never sluggish on our
                      local hills. But now it fairly zooms up them.</span></p>
                    mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;"><span
                      style="font-size: 9.0pt; font-family:
                      'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;">To be frank,
                      all a bit of a surprise.</span></p>
                    mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;"><span
                      style="font-size: 9.0pt; font-family:
                      'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;">Not
                      boastingâ?¦just putting that out there in case
                      anyone else is thinking of going up a few
thouâ?¦..</span></p>
                    mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;"><span
                      style="font-size: 9.0pt; font-family:
                      'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;">When I asked
                      about gaps a few years back, some of the
                      suggestions were near 0.040â??. Surely that a bit
                      much?</span></p>
                    mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;"><span
                      style="font-size: 9.0pt; font-family:
                      'Arial',sans-serif; color: black;">Simon</span></p>
                mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;"><span style="font-size:
                  9.0pt; font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif; color:
black;"> </span></p>

      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
 <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"