Re: [Healeys] 100 front brakes

To: Hank Leach <gradea1@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100 front brakes
From: Michael Salter via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 08:48:01 +1300
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>

--00000000000001638205f58b87b8

The "OUTEE" type of connection that you show in your picture is not for a
brake hose. It was originally used for a solid line with a "double" flare.
A TSB was released in later years which indicated that either a double
flare or a "bubble" flare could be used with that type of connection.
https://precisionsportscar.com/brake-pipe-flare-tsb/
Those wheel cylinders had a solid pipe in one "hole" and either a bleed
screw or a flex hose in the other. The flex hose was sealed with a copper
washer at the top of the thread and the bleed screw originally had a flat
end with small steel ball.

On Sun., Feb. 26, 2023, 8:27 a.m. Hank Leach via Healeys, <
healeys@autox.team.net> wrote:

> Do you mean "wheel" cylinders and not "slave"...100s have a mechanical
> clutch. I understand that on all model Healeys the brake hoses have one
> threaded end and one flared end. That flare goes into the metal line nut.
>
> On the early 100 wheel cylinders they used an American AF thread but
> switched over to the Girling unified thread on later releases. The bleeder
> connection can be either in or out in shape (photo) but if the bleed screw
> is flat it uses the check ball (supplied in rebuild kits) and fits the
> recessed shape. The pointed bleeder uses no check ball.  Be sure that you
> were supplied the correct threaded hose...most suppliers do not have the
> early style. Use Girling red grease on the threads. Hank

ine with a &quot;double&quot; flare. A TSB was released in later years whic=
h indicated that either a double flare or a &quot;bubble&quot; flare could =
be used with that type of connection.=C2=A0=C2=A0<a href=3D"https://precisi=
onsportscar.com/brake-pipe-flare-tsb/">https://precisionsportscar.com/brake=
-pipe-flare-tsb/</a><div dir=3D"auto">Those wheel cylinders had a solid pip=
e in one &quot;hole&quot; and either a bleed screw or a flex hose in the ot=
her. The flex hose was sealed with a copper washer at the top of the thread=
 and the bleed screw originally had a flat end with small steel ball.=C2=A0=
attr">On Sun., Feb. 26, 2023, 8:27 a.m. Hank Leach via Healeys, &lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";>healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br=
left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div>Do you mean &quot;wheel&quot; cy=
linders and not &quot;slave&quot;...100s have a mechanical clutch. I unders=
tand that on all model Healeys the brake hoses have one threaded end and on=
n the early 100 wheel cylinders they used an American AF thread but switche=
d over to the Girling unified thread on later releases. The bleeder connect=
ion can be either in or out in shape (photo) but if the bleed screw is flat=
 it uses the check ball (supplied in rebuild kits) and fits the recessed sh=
ape. The pointed bleeder uses no check ball.=C2=A0 Be sure that you were su=
pplied the correct threaded hose...most suppliers do not have the early sty=
-----------------------------------</p>From: &quot;warthodson--- via Healey=
et=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&quot;<br>Cc: <b=
r>Sent: Friday February 24 2023 5:15:16PM<br>Subject: [Healeys] 100 front b=
rakes<br><br>
will be assisting a friend to replace the flexible hoses on his 100
front brakes. He has ordered and received a set of hoses, but the
ends that thread into the slave Cyl do not match the shape of the
mating surface in the slave. The ends of the hoses are flat &amp; it is
my understanding that the cyl. is cone shaped inside. The vender
says this is not a problem. I think it is a problem.
that have the correct ends for this application &amp; are also the
correct length (I.E. Not too short)?</div>
rer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <=
a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferrer noreferr=