Re: [Healeys] finish of gauge housing

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] finish of gauge housing
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 16:35:40 +0100
The Smiths/Jaeger instrument housings were zinc electroplated and the
inside was painted white or white and pale blue.
The zinc (re)plating can be done at home as there are several sets
available running from a battery using a zincsalt solution, electrodes
and a sponge. I cannot remember the brand.I do not know if they worked
properly as I never tried them. They were/are used to repair the
original zinc coat on modern cars after crash repair.
The zinc plating becomes dark gray with age and corrosion.
Some of the older instruments and the clocks had a cast mazac or zinc
housing.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL