BJ8 front suspension

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: BJ8 front suspension
From: WWSCPO@aol.com
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 08:50:52 EDT
Hello all,

We are putting two BJ8s back together from frame off restorations. The  front
suspensions of both are reassembled and were done independently of the  other
and at separate times.   Two inch spacers were used under the  shocks to
predetermine set. Finished, one suspension is square and parallel and  looks
correct, the other has maximum positive camber that even when weighted by  the
chassis with wheels, sitting on the ground, will not change.  We have
questioned
each other and compared all components and everything looks the  same.  A clue
perhaps, is the + cambered car has its spring bumper out of  parallel with
the spring column. We are stumped.  Any insights?

On another note, what is acceptable end play on the front hubs?  I  have done
the excercise of trading spacers up and down and am at the point of  having
very free spinning hubs with an audible click of endplay but no  finger/hand
sensation of it.  This is done with the bearings lubed  with 90 wt. oil only
and the castle nut torqued to 70lbs.  Cotter pins are  in alignment.

Thank you list,

Bill Schumann  38046
Nahant, MA