Fuel gauge question

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel gauge question
From: "Jim Parish" <jimp@parishpartners.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 11:42:24 -0700
Many thanks for the suggestions on my engine problems for my BJ8. Having
completed cleaning the float chambers and fuel filters, and ensuring that
floats and valves work well, I now find my fuel gauge inoperative.

The gauge has evidently been mid-reading for some time. At the last fill up,
the gauge was indicating just below half-full, but it took 9.5 gallons to
fill the tank so it seems the problem has been around for awhile.

I did remove the sending unit from the gas tank to ensure that it was
performing well, and cleaned the contacts to ensure a good connection to the
sender wire. When the gauge problem surfaced, I tested the wire and it
carries a current. I don't know how to test the sending unit.

After cleaning the carbs, I turned the key on. Initially the gauge needle
flickered strongly two or three times from the far left position to perhaps
mid-dial. Now the needle just moves from the far left position to rest on
the Empty mark when the key is turned on. The tank is full.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Jim Parish
Parish Partners, Inc.
214-663-6000   mobile