RE: Re; Front wheel bearings BN2-BJ8

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Re; Front wheel bearings BN2-BJ8
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 18:33:09 -0700
But, Dave.....
if the distance piece is put into compression by torquing the nut, the stub
axle will see exactly the same amount of TENSION, yes?  This would move the
tensile loads on the stub axle closer to its ultimate tensile strength, and
reduce any margin available to resist bending loads from driving.  Any
up-bending loads on the axle are translated into tensile loads on its bottom
surface.

This is another one of those discussions that comes up on the list
periodically.  I respectfully submit that the distance piece does not add
any strength to the stub axle.  It is there only to preload the bearings.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA