Re: More Specifics on Main / Rod Bearings

To: Carlos Cruz <healey3000bn7@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: More Specifics on Main / Rod Bearings
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:01:07 -0700
Hi Carlos,

You can't be absolutely sure what size the crank is without micing it.
The lack of marking "might" indicate that the shells are standard size, but
there is no absolute standard for bearing marking. It is never "safe to
assume" anything.

You could get an approximation by placing two bottom shells
together & measuring the ID. You could measure shell thickness to
compare but you don't have any other know shell sizes to compare to. It
is most likely that any shaft grinding was done in .010" increments.

In the end, there is no substitute for very precise measuring, which the
machine shop can do. Having the machine shop measure things is not a
"hassle", it is a necessity. The shop can give you a pretty good idea of
what size bearings to order. If they can't, look for another shop.You
really need to have the intended new bearings in hand before final crank
grinding, & they need to be installed in the block, measured, & compared
to the crank diameter. Crank size can be altered as needed. Bearing
shells cannot.

There are some short cuts & assumptions that could be made But a really
good shop will check everything twice. A .001" misfit can lead to disaster.

Good luck,
Dave Russell