Starting woes

To: <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Starting woes
From: "Robert Winslow" <rwinslow@sangart.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 11:10:09 -0800
I am new to the list, so please pardon my naivete:

My BN1 never cranked very fast, but always started until recently, when I
thought the battery went dead. I replaced the battery, and it started. A few
weeks later, and not much driving, the new battery now appears to be dead as
well - won't crank. The car started with an external battery. After some
driving, expecting a recharge, it still wouldn't start, even though I measure
12 v across the battery terminals.

I suspect something is draining the battery. My mechanic thinks it is likely
the starter motor. But after following the list and reading up on some tips
at the Moss website, it seems to me it could be a lot of other things as
well, including the battery master switch.

If anyone has been down this road and has a procedure for troubleshooting the
electrical system in a BN1, I would be most grateful for advice.

Bob Winslow

54 BN1