Re: Steering wheel restoration?

To: "Esko & Megan Cate" <enmcate@comcast.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering wheel restoration?
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 21:12:54 -0500
Generally speaking the repairing of original steering wheels is usually a
losing battle. There are a number of good epoxies that are on the market,
including one fro Eastwood's specifically marketted for this repair task.
Bottom line seems to be that the repairs will not last over the long term of
4 or 5 years.
The base problem is that there is a steel core to these wheels and the
plastic and / or repair epoxies, or whatever do not seem to be able to
expand and contract with temperature changes, resulting in eventual cracking
of the finish again.
Esko, if you have a BJ7 with adjustable steering, you are in luck. The repro
wheels are excellent (though not cheap) and don't seem to crack out like the
originals. I'd recommend you go and get one of them, and they come complete
with new screwed locking collar.
Unfortunately for all of us owners who have cars with non adjustable wheels,
the correct one is not made. The repro people in all their infinite wisdom
decided to do the non adjustable wheel with the same outer rim and spoke
spacing as the adjustable wheel....wrong!
Non adjustable wheels had closer spaced spokes, immediately noticeable even
at a casual glance.
Rich Chrysler