geez

Re: Help Interpreting Geez data

To: davevasko@adelphia.net, geez@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Help Interpreting Geez data
From: PbPied@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:13:10 EDT
For those who are nice enough to answer questions on this list,
how about posting to the forum so we can all benefit?

Dave,

As a driving coach who has used GEEZ, I have seen times when
a driver will "rock" his hands back and forth without realizing it,
in the middle of a corner, and similar patterns will result.  Four
motions in succession, so evenly spaced, is not common, however.

Another possibility: How much fuel do you run in your tank?
How stiff are your shocks?

Definitely, the drop back towards the left after the first right
peak is driver input.  The following waves back to the highest
right lateral may be motion of your hands, (likely) or it may
be something the car is doing.

While it may seem pretty far "out there", a half load of fuel
can slosh back and forth after a zigzag made with the hands,
and keep the car rocking slightly.  A similar reaction might be
produced by the body rocking on the springs, if the damping level
is low.  Most cars have a spring (compress/rebound) frequency
between 1.5 and 2 Hz.  Shocks do control and modify that rate,
in addition to reducing travel.

The outside possibility is that there was some pavement condition
which caused the steps in the graph, even as you steadily turned
the wheel to the right.  Don't count on that....  ;-)

Have someone ride with you at the next autocross, with the job
of paying particular attention to your hand motions.  Or, you might
rig a camera to watch your driving instead of the course.  A lot can
be learned about what you do unconsciously those ways.  A rider
can often sense small variations in lateral loading caused by means
(mechanical) other than driver input, since he or she does not have
to expend concentration on following an autocross course.

Good luck!

Alan Sheidler