geez

Usage & Other Ratings (was: How does GEEZ calculate usage?)

To: Engstrom <engstrom@onramp.net>
Subject: Usage & Other Ratings (was: How does GEEZ calculate usage?)
From: Byron Short <bshort@AFSinc.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 08:09:59 -0700
Wow, you guys are GOOD!

Sorry for my absence over the last week or two; I've been doing some
work with GM.  Got to put a G-Cube in a prototype vehicle and drive
around some cones.  Can't say much more about that or they'll dispatch
the black helicopters and sharpshooters...

John's explanation of Usage is right on.  The friction "tube" is an
important part of all of this.  This helps us to plot your car's forward
potential at various speeds.  However, the question that Brian asked
about why we need to handle forward acceleration as a seperate case
bears a little more discussion.  Here's the deal.

We want to allow you to score well when you are driving with your foot
to the floor, as long as you are in the right gear, etc.  So what we are
trying to capture is when you have your foot on the floor in places
where you are primarily trying to accelerate.  This is done by looking
at the angle of the vector from the origin.  If the vector is with 45
degrees of straight up, then we assume you are trying to accelerate
primarily.  So in those cases we give more credit for acceleration.
This also helps to eliminate some of the lumpiness in the acceleration
"memory map" caused by shifting.

Now, several of you have hit on what I had decided was a weak point in
the Usage system...transition rates.  The version of the software that
you all have uses ONLY the change in the x values, that is, the lateral
transition rate.  I think the first person to point out this problem to
me was Jeff Cashmore, who's HS Celica was nearly impossible to get high
Aggressiveness scores.  (Aggressiveness is scored in part by high
transition rates.)  Jeff noticed, as several of you have, that no matter
how hard he tried, a transition from gas to brake was not scored well on
Usage, and it also didn't do well on Aggressiveness.

The solution is one that I have in place now, but I'm not yet ready to
release it as I'm putting other new stuff in this version too.  But
what's different is that in this new version we take transition rate in
all directions, rather than just lateral or just longitudinal.  This is
done simply by plotting the distance between two successive points in a
friction circle diagram.  The distance times the sample rate is the
transition rate per second.  This now allows lateral, longitudinal and
even off-kilter transitions like going from left-brake to gas-right
quickly.

Also, we previously never had a way to eliminate peaks in the plotted
transition rate data.  In lateral and longitudinal g's we filter out he
peaks by using sustained peaks rather than absolute peaks.  This keeps
us from trying to compare our runs to a single point of 1.40g's when we
hit that bump in the sweeper, when our real sustainable lateral g's are
more like 1.10g.  The new version does something similar for transition
peaks by using the sustain period to calculate unsustainable transition
rates.  In short, this means that if you have a single incidence of a
transition rate of 5.0g/sec, but everywhere else you get only 3.0g/sec,
the 5.0g/sec peak won't hurt your score when you are using sustained
peaks.

This is all part of an entirely new rating system, which I hated to do
because we all get used to the previous ratings, but which I felt was
needed.  The new ratings were done using about 30 test runs of drivers
of varying abilities, all recorded with G-Cubes rather than G-Analysts.
 I'm happy to report that I'm pretty satisfied with the new ratings, but
I would like to gather a bit more data before I say I'm completely
satisfied.  The new rating system seems to track extremely true with
fast times, and as an added bonus, I've observed no ill effects on
g.Analyst data.

Look for this new rating system to hit in the next couple of weeks,
together with a variety of new functions which I'll cover in more detail
later.

THANKS to all of you who answered these questions so accurately while I
was out!  And I'll have the new ratings available for release very
shortly.

--Byron