geez

Re: Some thoughts on recent threads...

To: Geez List <geez@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Some thoughts on recent threads...
From: Jeff Cashmore <cashmo@execpc.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 22:44:33 -0500
> I'd like to hear other opinions about the value of having the laptop in the
> car.  I'm still undecided.  I like the idea of reviewing my run before the
> next one, but I don't seem to be fluent enough with the software yet to make
> a good interpretation in the time between runs.  Is this hopeless, or do I
> just need more practice?

I find it pretty useful, mostly when I want to debrief my co-driver/girlfriend.
(IMO, Geez! is most valuable when used in 2 driver cars, at least for the slower
driver <grin>)  Typically you just need to cut off the end of the run from the
timing lights to the paddock (start of last hard braking to the end of the
run).  It's just a mouse click, CTRL-END and DEL.  Sometimes you have to correct
the finish speed to get a decent map but at this point, you're not going for
perfect.  Just something to help explain what you're doing/want them to do at
different parts of the course.   You should start to recognize typical ratings
numbers and looking at them can tell you if somethings out of whack, ("boy, I'm
sure not being smooth today").

At todays event I found I was hitting the rev limiter for 1.1 seconds at the end
of a straight.  The next run I shifted to 3rd (took .8) and then downshifted
under braking.  When I did it right, theoretically I was saving .3 seconds.
Wouldn't have been sure which was better without the software.

I love the Ctrl-F3 combo to bring up the start screen but I'd REALLY like a
Ctrl-A combo (or something similar) to put it into Autostart mode.  It does get
hard to see the mouse pointer on the screen from the drivers seat.
--
Jeff Cashmore
1995 Toyota Celica ST = HS (SOLD!! The V8 is on it's way!!)