fot

[FOT] carb problem fixed

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [FOT] carb problem fixed
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 04:30:09 -0500
Can you top this?

I started having carb problems at Blackhawk a month ago and they got
worse at Grattan. The rear two cylinders would drop out and then come
back in with a bang. It seemed pretty obvious that it was a rear carb
problem, and I just about wore out the threads off taking them on and
off trying to find the problem.

Finally at Grattan last weekend I took the top off the rear float
bowl while sitting in the (very) bright sunlight and looked into both
the fuel delivery and vent tube. In the vent tube, at the inner end,
was a shaving like you bet when a drill breaks through a hole - round
- and it was still attached to the wall, albeit very lightly. It was
acting like a little check valve, shutting off the air vent  from
time to time!

The shaving was brass and a part of the tube. I remain puzzled about
the manufacturing process that left such a shaving. It must have been
from the cutoff operation for the brass tube.

Just about the time you think you've seen everything................

uncle jack