fot

Sort of an LBC question... but not exactly.... (long answer)

To: "John Kipping" <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sort of an LBC question... but not exactly.... (long answer)
From: "fredd" <fal@knology.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 20:59:36 -0600
John,

I answer your points :

> there isn't an incestuos relationship between the police and the
> courts system so it is impossible for it happen like that.

In some small towns, the police and the court are the same
person/family/money.

> The
> very idea that you are forced to hand over cash for a non existant offence
> is appalling,

You can refuse and be the hero.
I've learned very quickly the rules, like it or leave.
I left Ardmore, sold the house for a big loss.

> perhaps a TV station or newspaper could be persuaded to
> investigate and record such an incident.

A believe 2 or 3 years ago, there was a story in a national US car magazine
about a similar town, I believe in Ohio, maybe someone here remembers that
article .
In that town it took many years to get even the national news media
interested.
That town was only about 2 spuare mile, but located on a main highway and
kept a big family alive for many years, them being the cops, prosecutor and
judge, they ruled.

After the first mail, I remembered another little town like that.
Sewanee in Tennessee http://www.city-data.com/city/Sewanee-Tennessee.html
I pass there every month with the Land Rovers dealer rides that I organise.
Main highway tru the middle of town.
School zone with a sign "15mph when light flashing".
In that school zone stretch is an intersection with an orange warning light
that is flashing 24h/day.
The speedlimit in town is 35mph.
A normal driver would think that if the schoolzone light of 15mph is not
flashing you can drive 35mph.
Wrong, as non local you will get a ticket if you pass the intersection at 35
or less, but above 15 mph.
As non local you have top pay on the spot, if not, you will be arrested and
your car impounded.
Technically, outside the schoolhours you can drive up to 35 mph there, but
are you gonna sue the city ?
You are the one in jail, and they have your car.

You wanna hear about Interstate 10 in Texas ?
Out of state Euro cars ?

fredd