fot

RE: G-Tech Or Alternatives

To: "'LOddTR@aol.com'" <LOddTR@aol.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: G-Tech Or Alternatives
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:27:15 -0700
We sort of had this discussion before. You're going to pay for a lot of
advertising (funny thing for a guy who makes his money in advertising to
say, but it's true), which is okay if there's a huge market because there
will still be plenty for R&D and product refinement, but there isn't. I
suspect it won't do much for the money. I haven't spent money on data
acquisition yet, but I've been tempted enough to attend a seminar on it
and buy a few books. There's a good reason why a basic Stack or Pi setup
costs $3500 to $5000 plus a good laptop. You need a high sampling rate,
lots of data storage, and lots of input transducers to tell much. I don't
know how you'd really know what was going on in the car just from
acceleration and time. And unless you have an accurate marker you won't
know where you were on the track and what was going on.

I really doubt you can go cheap on this and be able to tell anything at
all.

The most telling evidence is the thundering silence on all the enthusiast
forums about these things. If they gave useful information you'd see all
kinds of discussion about them, as well as accessory software to interpret
the output better. But there's nothing.