fot

RE: Interesting Difference of Opinion About TR2 and TR3 Small

To: <Group44TR7@aol.com>, <tr3a@att.net>
Subject: RE: Interesting Difference of Opinion About TR2 and TR3 Small
From: "Brad Eells" <bradlnss@lightspeed.net>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 20:04:31 -0700
You got me going here...I broke out Piggots "Original Triumph TR". The only
difference he describes in the TR2/TR3 front apron is the grill type and
surrounds fitted. Early TR2s had 'chromed mazak' or die cast aluminum grille
fitted at the rear of the opening, later TR2's added a chromed 'reveal'
moulding surrounding the lower front and sides of the opening. The TR3
changed to the extruded aluminum 'egg crate' grille at the front of the
opening with a full moulding surround. He also describes the TR3 apron
having 'cutaways' inside the mouth behind the grille to bring more cold air
into the engine compartment.

I would guess your long door TR2 should have an apron with no 'reveal'
moulding. Your car appears to have no moulding around the grille - but that
doesn't mean it's not a TR3 grille - the moulding could have disappeared
somewhere along the way...

You could confirm the apron is a TR3 by looking for the 'cutaways'. Someone
could have screwed in a TR3 Grille to a TR2 apron...

The book has a picture of each type described, page 32 & 33 for what it's
worth...

Brad
<< I am getting two very different answers here. One which states that
they are exactly the same except for the placement of the grill and other
believing there was a significant difference between the two. >>