fot

RE: Friends?

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Friends?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 08:53:21 -0700
Virus checking programs just search for a sequence of bytes known to be part
of a virus, without necessarily checking that those bytes are located such
that they ever could be executed.  The list server just blocks all
attachments, since only attachments can be file types that might possibly be
executed.  And without being executed, a virus is just a harmless series of
bytes ...

In this case, the message text wound up containing a sequence of bytes that
your Norton AV apparently recognized as being a virus.  However, the message
text would never be executed (without some deliberate shenanigans on your
part), so the message was actually harmless.  Anyone who opened it just saw
a plain text message, with some jumbled numbers and letters in it.

Kinda like real-life viruses.  They have to have the right environment to
grow and cause damage.  Deprive them of that environment, and they're
harmless.

Randall