fot

Branierd International Raceway (Donnybrook) Closing [Or Not?]

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Branierd International Raceway (Donnybrook) Closing [Or Not?]
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 16:17:44 -0500
A few days ago, Cary wrote:

>     BIR, as it is currently known, will be closing at the end of this year
> make room for a subdivision. I have very fond memories of this Branierd,
> Minnesota race track and am very sad to hear of its pending closure. In
its
> heyday, it hosted many events, including some Can Am races.

Because this came as a surprise to me, I put a note out on the SCCA-Land 'O'
Lakes region email list. After a few responses along the lines of "Hey -
that would be news to me", the following two email notes were received
today. Those who have any interest in someday running at Brainerd
International Raceway may be interested in the following (read them both).

Jim Hill
Madison WI

1.____________________________________
Paul Ahles [SMTP:pahles@isd.net] wrote:
> God, I love rumours and speculation.
>
> FROM Track management this weekend (6/17/00)
>
> 1. CBIR has a 10 year  (10 year) Contract with NHRA.  This is year one.
> 2. Relations with NHRA have never been better.
> 3. Hotel starts construction this summer/fall.
> 4. Convenience store/Gas station starts about the same time.
> Hotel to north of main gate/gas & c store to south.
> 5. Track will be breaking ground to EXPAND the current tower into the
north
> part of the winners circle area (against the fence) up to the grandstands
on
> the north side of the track.  (there will be a place to bring cars out
thru
> the gate as we do now)
> 6. NHRA has given CBIR the 2001 dates for planning purposes.
> 7.  CBIR has plans to demolish the "short" grandstands on the south side
and
> replace them with the larger stye currently there.
> 8.  the concrete walls on the main straight are getting raised higher from
> the 1/4 mile mark to satisfy NHRA.
>
> Personal observations:
>
> 1.  at least 2 of the buildings for townhomes ON-Site are in construction
> NOW.  (between the 300 club (turn 10) and the the bridge)  One more has
the
> land cleared between the timing building and the grandstands.
> 2.  One of the timeshares is COMPLETE in the north area off the track near
> the campground.
> 3.  Rumour has it that the personnel are a little dissatisfied with "the
CO"

2.____________________________________
Randy-V [SMTP:randy@winning.com] wrote:

> Okay - here is the TRUE STORY on what is going on there...
>
> I got tired of the rumor mill just grinding all this flak up and spitting
it
> out so I just called and spoke with the folks at CBIR for the last 30
> minutes.  In particular I spoke with the woman that handles the contracts.
> She said "There is no problem with the road racers, no problems in getting
> contracts, no plans of NOT allowing roadracing.".  She went on to say that
> The Colonel is dedicated to bringing CBIR up to World Class standards.  In
> addition to the Condos that are already well underway between T9 and T10,
> there will be another 30 condo unit built on the outside of the track at
the
> beginning of the straight.  Some of us like to camp there, but we will
have
> to move.
> The Colonel did NOT buy access to the lake and as far as she knows there
are
> no plans to do so.  The *only* contract issue at all was conflicting dates
> and they needed to manage them.  In other words (these are my words) If
the
> drag racers want to put on a big show the same weekend that we want to
hold
> an event, we will probably lose.  Unless there is already a contract.  The
> key here is to plan early and get the place under contract.  Hello LOL
BOD!