fot

Re: Header coating and other questions...

To: DLM Assoc <DLMAssoc@AOL.COM>
Subject: Re: Header coating and other questions...
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 11:38:58 -0500
DLM Assoc wrote:

> Hello all:
>
> 1.  I've had at least one recommendation that I have it powder
> coated, another says don't do anything.  What's the general
> concensus?  Is powder coating important?  Is high temp paint
> sufficient?  Should I leave it "nekkid"?

Hi temp paint doesn't really stay, unfortunately.

> 2.  It's got a 2.5" OD collector pipe.  Can I continue 2.5" to the rear
> or do I have to do anything else through the frame X member (TR4)?

2-1/2 will go through the cross member if you take a torch or grinder to
the flanges there. I got a 2-1/2 through mine. I've seen one 3" put
through it but I don't know how it was done.

> 3.  Someone recommended a section of flex pipe from the collector
> to the exhaust pipe to absorb vibration.  Seems to make sense,
> does it?

Yes, if you don't, something will break because of the movement of the
engine.

> 5.  Does the pipe need to be welded or are muffler clamps good
> enough?  Seems that they'd make it easier to remove things later on..

Clamps work fine.

--
uncle jack the carfrek
TR4 Rallye Replica vintage racer