Re: [Roadsters] Baffled by Backfire

To: Dave Cooke <cookefam314@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Baffled by Backfire
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 16:59:56 -0700
> During a recent road trip, I picked up an intermittent backfire thru
> the carbs... I'm still getting a backfire thru both carbs.

If the ignition timing is accurate (and you aren't getting cross fire from
a defective cap or plug wires bundled together), I'd wager either slipped
valve timing (unlikely) or a burned valve seat (more likely). But first,
check the valve clearance to be sure you don't have one that's too tight!

A compression check may be a quick way to spot something.

-- John
Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $16.00