Re: [Roadsters] a few questions with my start up (please help)

To: <toolmansj2@comcast.net>, "'roadster list'"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] a few questions with my start up (please help)
From: "Graeme" <graemes@internode.on.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 09:34:38 +0930
1. If you have 12V at ONE of the headlamp pins, that is a good sign.
However 12V at ONE pin may indicate broken filament[s].
If the ground circuit is intact the headlamp should light.
If the filament is OK and the ground circuit is not, you should see 12V on
TWO pins of the headlamp, supply and the ground wire.
Unplug the headlamp and try connecting a Voltmeter to the headlamp plug
supply and the common/ground pin [BLACK wire] for both HI [RED with WHITE
stripe wire] and LO [RED with BLACK stripe wire] beams.
If you see nice solid 12V on both supply leads when you operate the beam
change lever on the column,
supply is good and the ground is also good.
Still no headlamp, broken filament[s].

2. You could probably get a hydraulic hos Shop to renew the line if you gave
them the old one.
They will re-use your nipples and fit a new centre section for a fraction
the cost of a new unit, [perhaps!]

3. Pass.

"1. All lights work except headlights any thing I can look for tried 2
relays same result 1 of the 3 wires are hot to the headlights.
2.Leaky oil hose from block to distributor has any one cut out the center
hose and clamped a new center section in? New seems too expensive.
3.Then there is the idle I have the dwell set at 52  points gapped at about
.018 and timing at 17degrees and cant get the engine to idle any lower than
about 1000 rpm without roughness. The car holds a steady dwell while
changing idle rpms timing seems to hold steady, but when I lower the idle
speed it just wont run smooth. any clues."