Re: [Roadsters] Headlights

To: peter harrison <granvillecomputing@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Headlights
From: Pat Horne <roadsters@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 18:37:04 -0600
Be careful when upgrading 1970 Roadster headlights. As I understand it
some of the headlights have a metal reflector, which may be connected to
the common connection on the bulb. On the 1970 Roadsters this common
connection is connected to the hot (12V) line when the headlight switch
is on. This will cause a short. As I recall some folks have carefully
insulated the reflector, but I wouldn't want to rely on this type of
repair  to keep my headlights on when driving curvy roads at night! I'd
go for a glass reflector, a metal reflector that is electrically
isolated from all the bulb connections, or rewire the headlight circuit
to alloe the common lead to be grounded. I think the metal reflector
problem was on Hella lights. It may be that they aren't built that way
any more, but it is worth a check.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake peter harrison:

--
Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001