Re: New technology for old cars.

To: Graeme <graemes@internode.on.net>,
Subject: Re: New technology for old cars.
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@tlabgalaxy.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 22:45:39 -0500
> Graeme
>
> Hi all, digital cameras have been the best thing invented since the clip to
> seal the bag to put sliced bread in.
> Another excellent form of electronic wizardry is a good quality
> scanner/printer.
> I scanned two pages of my SP310/SPL310 Parts Catalogue for Ron then emailed
> them directly to him.
> (No point sending the message to the list since it strips any attachments.)
> I use an Epson Stylus PHOTO RX630: it will scan not only docs. but all
> formats of photos and negatives as well as all current Memory Stick types.
> I still wonder how cars were restored prior to the existance of the WWW,
> email and digital technology in general.
> Providing the original doc. etc. is readable, it can be scanned, editted in
> a clever photo editor and it comes up suitable for emailing or reprinting.
> Takes a wee bit of your time but once done you have a permanent record of
> what may be a very valuable reference.

Thanks for the scans, Graeme. They're excellent. If most of the web
resources were this clean I wouldn't be speculating about recreating them.

That said, if we decide to recreate some of this material we should give
some thought to how best to format the finished docs for more easily
accessing the information in them rather than just reproducing them for
printing.

At the least you could use hyperlinks to move to related subjects or maybe
set them up so that clicking on a picture in a parts diagram generates a
pop-up with a part number. Yes, it would take some work, but it's worth
considering.

Ron