Re: OT: Electric cars

To: John F Sandhoff <sandhoff@csus.edu>,
Subject: Re: OT: Electric cars
From: Gary McCormick <gkmcc@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:02:46 -0700 (PDT)
As an engineer I like to keep an open mind about new (or new/old)
technologies, and I electric cars have their place - unfortunately,
topics like this get so politicized that both sides of the debate end
up skewing "facts" their way and spinning things out of control; for
example - the little flash film that opens up on the website you reach
fronm the link John has provided says, among other things, that burning
1 gallon of gas puts 19 pounds of CO2 into the air. How can that be,
when a gallon of gas weighs about 7.5 pounds? Unless the amount of air
which is required to burn that gallon of gasoline is such that the
carbon and oxygen amounts add up (I don't know - it's been a long time
since Chem 1a!) I don't see how that is going to work. Did they drop a
decimal? Should it be 1.9 ponds of CO2 (still a lot, considering hjow
much gasoline is consumed every day worldwide...).

Gary McCormick
'70 2000 SRL311-13291
San Jose, CA