Speed TV Thursday

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Speed TV Thursday
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@tlabgalaxy.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 21:40:04 -0500
As has been discussed, those of us with cable or satellite have access to
some pretty cool car oriented programming. On Saturday midday, repeated on
Sunday, Spike (unfortunately NOT available in the burg we currently live in)
airs Power Block including Horsepower TV, Muscle Car, Extreme 4X4 and
Trucks. All interesting and usually offering good programming plus some
ideas and techniques useable on our toys.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that Speed was doing something similar on
Thursday evening. It starts with a new show hosted by Dale Earnhardt, Jr.,
entitled Back in the Day which is basically a repackaging of an old show
from the '60s and '70s called Car and Track. I enjoy the historical footage
and chuckle at the somewhat dated sound effects. Then they air episodes of
American Muscle Car, Chop Cut Rebuild and Car Crazy, followed by a couple of
of Barrett-Jackson auction re-runs, if you're into watching someone with,
IMO, more money than common sense spend $100K for something like an
AmphiCar. I kid you not.

Chop Cut Rebuild is what specifically prompted me to write this. I wasn't
terribly impressed with the show when I first saw it last year, but the
production values are much better this year, and they offer a good number of
useful techniques and ideas. One of the projects is a "new" '67 Camaro built
from totally from crate parts, including one of the new crate bodies. For
the rear axle assembly they went to Curry and showed how a custom piece is
built from square one. In light of our recent discussions on rear axle
alternative, I figured it was worth a mention.

All of these show, both on Spike and Speed are also on at other times during
the month. In case you're interested a '66 Chevy II Nova SS/L-79/4-speed
went for $36K and a '58 Impala HT 348/Tri-power/Powerglide sold for $48,500
while I was typing this.

FWIW,
Ron