On bolt torque specs.

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: On bolt torque specs.
From: "Marcus Pryor" <banshee16@starband.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 20:39:36 -0700 (PDT)
Everything Chris said on the subject is absolutely right on, but may have
been a little too much info for most on here.

Bolt torque specs have been worked out over the years by OEM and suppliers
to reflect the strengths of fasteners currently being used and the type of
lubrication on the bolts. When followed religiously, these methods work
for most applications. Bolt stretch guages and angle guages are for racing
shops. Torque wrenches are for "normal" work.

I recently laid off my last paid employee. He has been a mechanic for over
40 years. He didn't even own a torque wrench. He tightened by "feel"
alone, and never made a mistake.

Don't get all balled up with worrying about the science. Use a beam type
torque wrench and follow the correct torquing sequence and you won't go
wrong.

Marcus A. Pryor
For a new age of reason