Re: carburetor question- SU's

To: Craig Halsted <chalsted@adelphia.net>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: carburetor question- SU's
From: Perry Smith <tpsmithstl@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 12:19:17 -0700 (PDT)
Craig,

  I had a similar problem with a "fuel dump" on my '68 2000 Roadster.  The fuel
was overflowing onto the ground from the float bowls when I revved the engine
over about 4000RPM.  I discovered it wasn't a fuel "flow" or over
pressurization problem, but rather a vibration problem with the Z-Therapy carbs
I had put on.  It was the Grose Jets.  I called Z-therapy and they sent me new
jets (no cost).  I took about 15-minutes to put the new jets on the float bowls
and - poof, no more problems.

  After I took the Grose-Jets off, I though I noticed the ball inside the jet
looked like plastic (i.e. lighter than the original brass(?) balls that were in
the replacement they sent).  I suspect that the vibration was causing the ball
not to seat and therefore the leak from the excessive vibration at higher
speed.  Z-therapy told me they had this problem on only a couple cars - the
2000 Roadster being one of them - they couldn't tell me why, just that
replacing the jets always cured the problem.

  Good luck,
  Perry Smith
  '68 2000

Craig Halsted <chalsted@adelphia.net> wrote:
  the carbs on the blue roadster I trailered to RA seem to be dumping a large
amount of gas into the engine, glad I didn't run it more than 15 seconds or so
each time I started it... oil was showing almost a quart high...when I pulled
the drain plug to empty the crankcase, reminded me somehow of the night before
my colonoscopy....carbs are Z Therapy, and are late emissions style. problem
with the Grose-Jets? the line that would on a later roadster go back to the
other inlet on the tank is just capped off by PO... seems I noticed years back
that there is a lot of gas flow back into the tank- could this cause the
problems? overboosting and no place for excess gas to go? still have early
single inlet tank in the car. I'm (obviously) not a carb guy and appreciate
any input.

Thanks-
Craig