Re: paint guns - bit ot

To: lou daly <lou_daly@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: paint guns - bit ot
From: E Scanlon <escanlon@worldaccessnet.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 16:56:06 -0800
In the FWIW dept:

HVLP : (High Volume Low Pressure guns, as their name states require large
volumes of air albeit at low pressures.  That simply means that most of our
"standard" compressors aren't set up to provide 10+ cfm at 50 psi and will leave
you painting in very SHORT spurts simply waiting for the compressor to catch up.

That's what I've been told, and since I don't have the budget to replace my
compressor and several paint guns, I'll just pass that info on.  If it's in
error please post corrections.

However, DO save yourself some money.  A Binks gun is a good high quality paint
gun, and I would be surprised to see it for less than $50 plus shipping.  Then
again, they are such a "high end" tool, that they have specialized tips.  One
for Clear Coat, another for Metallics even a self stirring cup for them, and a
"regular" tip.

If you aren't planning on painting several vehicles or anything else, then check
out Harbor Freight.  They have an excellent deal on an Industrial Paint Gun (Lot
No 91011), which uses the "old" technology.  At $15.99 you can't beat this, and
even more so if you're only planning on painting one car.

If you want a bit "more" they have a 37 pc Spray Gun Kit that has both the
larger one quart gun and the smaller touch up gun for $39.99 (Lot 91934).

Granted, they may not be as prestigious as the Binks, but a good painter can
paint with a spray can, while a bad painter blames his tools.

These are part of the sale flyer that got delivered to my house a week early, so
it isn't "officially" on sale till the 21st or so.

HTH
Enrique