Re: 1600 engine in a 2000

To: Camron Ware <camronware@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: 1600 engine in a 2000
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 21:38:52 -0600
> The previous owner of my 68 2000 swapped in a 1600 motor.  Now my question for
> everyone is should I re-badge it as a 1600? or keep it as a "2000"?
> I'm thinking about future resell value/attractiveness, as well as being
> 'proper'.  My first inclination was to just leave the 2000 emblems on there,
> but I would like to know some other opinions.  Thanks!

Camron,

Hopefully without starting another contentious thread between leaving it
totally stock and going to the opposite/modify everything extreme, my view
is that it's your car and you need to decide what you want from owning it
and proceed from there. To be even more accurate you'd need to swap the
grill, too, and probably other bits as well. The VIN is still probably SRL
rather than SPL, and I'd guess resale value is going to be compromised a
bit, but less so if the car is very nice overall. LOTS of variables there.

Having said that I will point out that unless the PO who swapped in the 1600
also swapped in the 3.90 rear gears that the 1600s came with, your 1600 is
at a disadvantage pulling against the stock 2000 3.70 rear gears. IMO, doing
the swap in the opposite direction, putting 3.90s in a 2000 is a great way
to really pep up a 2000 easily and inexpensively, IF you don't mind buzzing
the U-20 a bit more on the highway.

FWIW,
Ron