Carb Options

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Carb Options
From: <mjsutter@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 08:27:07 -0800
Nathaniel and others,

There are numerous carb options out there that cost significantly less than
than trying to procure a set of Solexes and the associated hardware. I have
been investigating the possibility of installing a set of Keihin FCRs or CRs
on my 2000. The FCRs and CRs carbs have a float-based metering system unlike
the diaphram type systems on the Super BN Mikunis. I dont know how well the
diaphram based metering systems would work on a postive pressure delivery
system (fuel pump), but it may be possible with a fuel pressure regulator and
a loop-back system to the tank. The adapting of the Super BNs to an SU
manifold would probably be quite easy given the availablility of PWC-type
modification kits on the market.

Given that the old SUs are a variable veturi type carb, driveability and
mileage may suffer some with the motorcycle type carbs, and setting up the
jetting is going to be a real nightmare without a dyno.

There is a shop that has been putting bike carbs on Triumph automobiles for a
while. Their website is http://www.prirace.com/ There is also some useful
information at http://www.triumphspitfire.com/carbchoices.html It appears that
there are quite a few Spitfire owners doing these types of mods. I spoke with
one guy at the San Diego British Car Day show who had a set of 4 Mikuni round
slides on his Spitfire.( I cant remember the ventui size) He said that the
drivability was fine, he also stated that the mileage wasn't affected too
badly. I assumed the performance had increased, at least I hope it did.

Let me know if you go ahead with your mod. Like I said, I am close to trying
something on my 2000.

Mike Sutter