Re: dist points question

To: James Hoffman <ericerichoffman@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: dist points question
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:12:43 -0800
>   A couple people have said the Nissan points don't last well, I am
> wondering what brand anybody likes and where do I get them...

I've had good luck and not-as-good luck with dealer points, but I've had
worse luck with others. NOTE: The NAPA parts books are wrong
and they will sell you the wrong part!!! (Generally I like NAPA parts
and recommend them over other places).

As I recall, I've had OK luck with Hitachi-branded points from the
dealer. I've had Mitsubishi-branded points that weren't as good.

When you adjust the points, keep them totally clean! NO oil! Make
sure you wipe down your feeler gauge with alcohol before touching
the points - a very small amount of oil contamination tends to cause
the points to burn.

I'm sure many others will suggest the Boone ElectroDizzy. In actuality,
that's probably an option that would make you very happy (I still run
points...)

-- John